Reassembled Sphericon

2016.01  black stoneware body, metallic glaze

I’d been playing with sphericons for about a month, refining the process of making them, and had been making two out of my new favourite dark stoneware clay. I was doing some last-minute touchups to this piece when I applied just a little too much pressure, and a large section of the surface broke into pieces. It was devastating- I’d spent hours perfecting the geometry... so I decided to see if I could piece it back together.

The clay hadn’t yet been fired, so I was able to painstakingly reassemble the pieces with slip. As I was fairly certain it wouldn’t survive firing, I was surprised and delighted to pull the sphericon out of the kiln intact. I then added glaze to the cracks to emphasise them rather than hide them.